September is National Preparedness Month, and the UCC’s Disaster Ministries has compiled a fantastic resource that outlines 12 ways your church can help local and national disaster survivors as they rebuild and recover:
12 Ways You Can Help Disaster Survivors Recover Through UCC Disaster Ministries
- Organize a U.S. disaster recovery work team. Just a week of your time will help disaster survivors rebuild their homes and lives: http://www.ucc.org/disaster_disaster-volunteers
- Repair/rebuild a hurricane-damaged home or part of a home for a family in Texas or Florida. $7,000 rehabilitates a Harvey-flooded affordable apartment in Port Arthur, Texas, including major appliances. $8,000 restores a Matthew- and/or Irma-damaged home in Volusia County, Fla: https://transactions.ucc.org/CampaignForm/UCChrist/emergency_usa
- Prepare your household and your congregation for an emergency. You’ll gain peace of mind and be able to help others. Here’s UCC Disaster Ministries’ Preparedness Guide: http://www.ucc.org/disaster_national-disaster-resources
- Contribute to the UCC’s Emergency USA Fund, which supports our denomination’s rapid humanitarian response to both large and small natural and human-caused disasters in all 50 U.S. states and territories: https://transactions.ucc.org/CampaignForm/UCChrist/emergency_usa
- Contribute to the UCC’s International Emergency Relief Fund, which supports our denomination’s disaster relief, long-term rehabilitation, advocacy and sustainability efforts along with refugee assistance around the world: https://transactions.ucc.org/CampaignForm/UCChrist/international_emergency_relief_fund
- Assemble Church World Service Kits, School / Hygiene / Baby Care Kits, and/or Emergency Cleanup Buckets, the latter of which is especially needed. These time-tested packets of supplies are crucial to the recovery process following an international or domestic disaster. And, you can build more with a UCC Disaster Ministries Matching Grant! http://www.ucc.org/disaster_2018_matching_grants_for_cws_kits_home_page
- Follow UCC Disaster Ministries online at http://ucc.org/disaster (website), https://facebook.com/onegreathourofsharingucc (Facebook), and https://twitter.com/OGHS_at_UCC (Twitter).
- Invite your UCC Disaster Ministries Conference Coordinator to speak at your Sunday worship service, adult Sunday school, or other occasion: http://www.ucc.org/disaster_us-disasters_ucc-disastercoordinators
- Learn how climate change causes and exacerbates disasters, and work for environmental justice: http://www.ucc.org/environmental-ministries
- Contribute generously to the One Great Hour of Sharing offering, typically taken during Lent: http://www.ucc.org/oghs
- Contact UCC Disaster Ministries Executive Zach Wolgemuth at email@example.com for information about serving as a long-term disaster recovery volunteer.
- Volunteer—physically or virtually—to build houses in Nepal with the UCC’s partner Fuller Center for Housing: http://www.fullercenter.org/global-builders/nepal