Local Mission Funding Applications for RMC Churches:
- We are condensing our awarding process this year! Instead of two $10,000 cycles, we will offer just one cycle with $20,000 in available grant funds.
- Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
- Applicants will be notified of our decision by August 15.
- Grant funds will be disbursed by September 1.
Why “In the Mud”?
The work of Jesus was done on the ground: He got his hands “in the mud” with the people he served, directly helping outcasts, the sick, the poor, and the forgotten—and he asked his disciples to do the same.
In 2016, our Conference voted to adopt a similar “in the mud” approach to sharing mission dollars. Instead of sending funds directly to organizations, we now grant the funds to our local churches, empowering them to build new partnerships and ministries within their communities.
With these grants, we challenge our churches to be “in the mud” with the mission they support. For example: In addition to providing food for the needy, a church will also turn an unused room on its property into a food kitchen, and/or prepare and serve meals each week. By getting “in the mud,” our churches walk as Jesus did to heal a hurting world.
Grant Application Guidelines
As you envision your potential “In the Mud” ministry and complete the grant application (available above), keep these questions close:
- Where are the greatest needs in your community outside of your church walls?
- If awarded a grant, how could your church alleviate this hurt?
- How would getting “in the mud” help your church strengthen its relationship with itself and with the greater community?
We are able to award a maximum of $20,000 each year, although total grants awarded may be less—this will depend on the quality, quantity, and requested dollar amounts of the applications we receive. To date, the average “In the Mud” grant is $1,091.96.
We encourage churches to seek the dollar amount needed to enact their ministry, with the knowledge that they might not be awarded the full requested amount (especially if we happen to receive several other inspiring applications). You can rest assured, though, that this isn’t an all-or-nothing process; you won’t be rejected or penalized if you ask for more than we are able to offer.
How to Apply
We have instituted a new application process for 2019! There are two major changes:
- Instead of offering two grant cycles of $10,000, we will now offer just one grant cycle of $20,000 in total available funds! This will give churches a chance to plan for the year ahead, and give them more time to prepare their application.
- In addition, we have created a new online application form to streamline and track applications. This is the only method of application we will accept. Thank you for your cooperation!
Follow-Up on Ministries
Churches awarded a grant are asked to follow up with the RMC office on the state of their projects. We welcome stories, testimonials, photos, and anything else that shows your ministry in action, so that we can share it with the wider Conference! If you’re a church who has been awarded a grant in the past and is applying for another grant, your commitment to following up on previous grants will be considered in our decision.